Menu Close

Church Recording

Our churches contain a vast wealth of Memorials, Metalwork, Stonework, Woodwork, Textiles, Paintings, Books, Organs, Clocks and many other artefacts.
The Arts Society Wantage  (then NADFAS) group produced comprehensive records of this part of our national heritage, and by so doing promoted its recognition and preservation.

Church Recorders worked local churches or places of worship researching and documenting memorials, metalwork, stonework, woodwork, textiles, paintings, libraries, windows and other items.
The records are widely acknowledged by insurers and the police, as well as by the church authorities, as a huge help in recovering or restoring damaged or stolen items. These records are lodged not only with the individual church itself, but also with the diocese, at Church House, the Victoria and Albert Museum and the National Monuments Record Office, where they are an important resource for researchers and cultural historians.

Some of the information gathered can be found here.

East Hendred – St Augustine

The Church of England parish church of Saint Augustine of Canterbury dates from late in the 12th century. The church has a Perpendicular Gothic square west tower, built in about 1450, displaying the put-log holes of its construction. There is ...
Read More

East Challow – St Nicholas

The Church of England parish church of St Nicolas was a-12th century Norman building, but the font and some masonry of the nave are now almost the only original features that survive. In the 13th century the chancel and chancel ...
Read More

West Hanney – St James the Great

The village had a parish church by the time of the Domesday Book in 1086. The earliest part of the present Church of England parish church of Saint James the Great is the nave, built about 1150. The north tower ...
Read More